• Five new starters — all formerly with the St. Louis Athletica — graced the Atlanta Beat’s starting lineup Sunday, but a 0-0 draw with Chicago keeps the Beat winless in Women’s Professional Soccer.
New goalkeeper Hope Solo did preserve Atlanta’s second point of the season with a tremendous diving save in the 87th minute.
The Beat is off next week, then plays host to the Red Stars on June 19.
• Atlanta FC fell to Rocket City United 2-1 on Saturday in an NPSL Southeast Division regular season contest. The next home game is July 3 against the Birmingham Pumas.
• The Atlanta Blackhawks of the Professional Development League were off last week, but play host to New Orleans Thursday at 7:30 p.m. at Alpharetta High School.
• The Atlanta Silverbacks of the W-League also were idle, and are at home at Silverbacks Park Saturday to face the Tampa Bay Hellenic in a 7:30 p.m. start.
• Gwinnett Soccer Association teams won six titles at the Georgia State Cup tournament, earning four on the girls’ side and two boys’ titles. The Concorde Fire Elite boys teams won the 13, 14 and 15 age groups, while AFC Lightning Club claimed one title each for girls and boys.
June 7, 2010 No Comments
Because of last weekend’s rains throughout the metro area, quite a number of matches in the group stages of the Georgia State Cup were postponed.
Games have been rescheduled for Wednesday and Thursday in a total of nine different age groups, boys and girls, with the semifinals and finals for all groups set for Friday through Sunday at McCurry Park in Fayetteville.
Here’s a searchable schedule of games, with updated scores, standings and brackets. Age groups that have already completed group play include semifinal pairings, with game times and field location information.
The Georgia State Cup is the official state championship tournament conducted under the auspices of the U.S. Youth Soccer Association.
June 2, 2010 No Comments